The Forge on High Street is thought to have been built around 1800 and was used as a blacksmiths workshop until 1988. During the 1800’s blacksmiths serviced boats using Spalding Port.
It was bought by the Dodd family in 1899. Blacksmith George Robert Dodd, a farmers son, from Heckington, his wife and three children were living in High St, in 1901.
Three generations of the family worked the Forge.
In the latter part of the 20th Century Geoffrey Dodd built frames for many of the Spalding Flower Parade floats there.
The Forge was purchased by South Holland District Council in 1989, with work starting in 2010 to develop the site. The Friends of Chain Bridge Forge was formed in 2011. Their aim, to preserve the building and turn it into a living museum and heritage centre.
Demonstrations of the Blacksmiths craft will be held regularly after the Forge officially opens to the public in September 2012.
Open every weekend 10 till 4 until the end of October.
Winter opening will be once a month.
Chain Bridge Forge
Tel: 07960 587724